Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Manovich from my phone

At the moment I'm in my bathroom sitting on the toilet lid typing this from my phone.
To be honest, I hate writing long emails from my phone and doing a blog entry, the tinest
type ever is like beading- tediuous! At the moment my husband is reprogramming his
computer. He's updating his linux based laptop with a Ubuntu inspired platform. I use his computer for the internet
because my Flintstone-computer runs much slower when I've had the internet running. Recently,
I've been thinking about changing to Linux yet I feel that my ties with the art world,
staunchly Mac,and the rest of PC land would banish me to weirdo-ville. Manovich,
writing this book in 1998, reflects on the "rapid transformation of culture into e-cluture".
He drifts, as it were, to picture what it would be like in the year 2005 with 4 periods,
allowing our minds to picture totally computerized organization. Well, it's 2010 and 2005,
as you know happened, and it goes without saying that "Computers have become universal culture
carriers, demanding us to rethink" every aspect of how we communicate and organize. Just a second
ago, I picked up a menu my daughter let on the bathroom door. I glanced at it and there were two
familiar symbols for Facebook and Twitter. I could follow Giovanni's Restaurant on twitter and FB.
After scoffing at the idea, I realize that it's a good way to pick up buisness, maybe make you think
about calling for a delievery because they've posted their specials. Sounds like an episode of MAD MEN
Where an ad man, manipulates your wanting something you were perfectly happy without.
Are computers the same manipulated object, pushed on us by a very good dealer wanting to score? Mobile
Phones are quickly filling in the role. I can't imagine my life without it.
Here I am posting for my toilet,making it happen
Manovich probably knew this was going to occur back in '98.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Alicia Grullon's projects consist of performances and photography in public spaces. She is interested in the connections between art and activism. She has exhibited at Mount Holyoke College’s Five College Women’s Studies Research Center, Raritan Community College, Masur Museum of Art, the Peekskill Arts Festival, Samuel Dorsky Museum at the State University of New York at New Paltz, Hunter College Gallery and The University of Rhode Island. Awards include: Franklin Furnace Fund for Performance Art 2007-08, Chashama Visual Arts Award, Research Associateship at Mount Holyoke College, and Arts Council Korea International Artist Residency at Stone and Water Gallery in Anyang, South Korea. She’s participated in 2008’s Art in Odd Places Pedestrian and Jamaica Flux 2010 at the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning.